Soup is always an excellent idea (especially during dead week) because you can make a big pot and then eat left overs for a while.
Here you’ll find:
Tequila Soup. Yes, that’s right, I said tequila. Shot glasses are optional.
Basic Potato Soup via my mommy
What You’ll Need:
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Add onions, celery and potatoes to pot. As much as you like, probably not more than one onion and two celery sticks per 4 large russet potatoes.
2. Add water just to cover potatoes.
3. Boil until potatoes are tender.
4. Add milk until it’s as creamy as you like.
5. Use a fork or spatula to mash the potatoes until you like the consistency.
Optional: Add lots of bacon and cheddar cheese.
Yes, you’ll be eating this for days. Best part? You can put it on chips or potatoes! See, you can still be unhealthy.
What You’ll Need:
1 1/2 Pounds Ground Turkey Breast or Ground Beef
2 Large While Onions
1 Large Green Pepper
The recipe says 4 cloves garlic, but that’s lame. For better chili add more garlic. 6 Cloves should suffice.
2 Cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 Can Kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
2 Cans of diced tomatoes, or preferably some diced fresh tomatoes
1 Cup Water
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
salt & pepper to taste
Here’s what you do:
1. Eat a snack, this is going to simmer for forever. Have a beer too.
2. In a super big pot throw in your diced pepper, onion, minced garlic and meat. If you’re using turkey, be sure to melt some butter, oil or margarine first.
3. Cook until meat is done and onion tender.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients. Stir.
5. Bring to boil.
6a. Have another beer. While you’re at it pour some beer in.
6b. Turn heat down and let simmer for at least an hour, trust me it’s worth it.
7. Pour into bowl, add gratuitous amounts of cheese. Eat.
That’s right, we’re not done with our cavalcade of Wednesday drinking.
This one’s super easy because you just throw everything in the pot!
Go get these things:
1 White onion, cut into 8 wedges
1 Cup frozen corn
1 Can diced tomatoes with green chilies (these can be hard to find, you can just get diced tomatoes, that’ll work fine)
2 Cloves garlic
1 Rotisserie chicken (Albertsons and Freddys have the best! They run $5-ish)
1 1/2 Cans chicken broth
1. Drinking while cooking is never a good idea (cough).
2. Take meat off chicken, remove skin. Make sure it’s in bite size pieces.
3. Make a margarita.
4. Add all of your shit to your Crock-Pot except the tequila. You don’t have a Crock-Pot? 1. This is how you’ll survive college. Ask for one for Christmas, until then go visit your parents and try to inconspicuously stuff their Crock-Pot in your back-pack. I’m sure they won’t notice. OR Just use a huge pot and set your stove to the lowest possible setting.
5. Pour tequila in Pot. How much? A shot, or two, or six. Just pour it in, I say.
6. Hope bottle isn’t empty, make another margarita because this is going to take FOR-EVER.
7. Cook all day. No really all day. 4 to 6 hours should do, the recipe says 8 to 10 hours but we’re in college, we don’t have that kind of patience.
8. Put whatever you want on top; cheese, sour cream, cilantro, tequila.
9. You spent all day cooking reward yourself with a nice glass of tequila.
Recipe from my Crock-Pot cook book, drinking inspired by Hannah Hart.
Soup Recipes is part of I Love My Ducklings, a series of food-related posts dedicated to the incoming ducks at UO & fellow ducks moving off campus.