As per request, a pie recipe!
A safe bet is always the Better Homes recipe:
I’m not a big fan of Crisco in my pie though. Life’s about butter anyways. So I tend to use the Williams and Sonoma crust recipe with the Better Homes (above) filling recipe.
Crust Recipe (taken from the Willams and Sonoma website):
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbs. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 16 Tbs. (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 6 Tbs. very cold water
Directions (in my words. Or read the super long convoluted version here)
- Mix together flour sugar and salt. Add butter. Mix on low speed or by hand until the butter is pea-sized. Add water until dough forms.
- Split dough into two balls.
- Roll out on floured surface, and line pie plate.
- The rest of the dough is for the top crust.
Super special Melissa secrets–
♡ I like to add rasberries to my blackberry pie, to make it a little more tart
♡ I brush my top crust with milk or cream if I have it on hand to get a flaky crust, then I sprinkle some sugar on top. (You can just use a spoon to sprinkle the milk/cream on top if you don’t have a brush).
♡ I use salted butter and cut back on the salt, because who seriously has unsalted butter in their house?